Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year is around the corner! This is the first time in 27 years I am not celebrating this festive season in my home country! First time I am not waking up on brand new bed sheets changing into brand new clothes and running into my mom's room to wish her a prosprous new year ahead and giving her a pair of mandarins and a red packet.

It is going to be the first year that I am not going over to my bestie's house on the third day of CNY to gamble! However, it is a good thing I would still be with family! The cousins have picked perth as the middle destination. The reason is all of us wanna see our little Gem Caitlin! I am dying to hear her call me Yee Yee in return I would give her a BIG red packet!

So to gear up for this festive season what have I been doing? Just yesterday I invited a bunch of friends over for a tiny reunion dinner, I know it is a little early and CNY is not till next week, but I'd be in perth the entire 1st week of CNY, i thought it would be good to do it earlier.

We had a feast i must say! With 2 steam boats bubbling away on the dinning table and accompanied by soft drinks and deep fried chicken wings and Zai-a vegetarian dish an important symbol of longevity and prosperity because of the ingredients used. Also i exerimented with making Bak Kua which literally mean dried meat. It is mince pork marinated rolled into thin slices and dried in the sun and then bbqed. Yums! A must have for all household celebrating CNY. Here are some pics to share!

The ingredients!



Marinating the meat!




Mixing it!

Rolling it!


Drying it!



BBQ-ing it!


Done!





1 comment:

  1. wah looks good. so sad bbq-ing in the rain :(
    look forward to you here...Caitlin loves u loads!

    ReplyDelete